[ts-gen] A look behind the curtain; was: create & modify orders

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Apr 1 15:23:29 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Paul C wrote:

> Is it fair to say that the sctipts in exs/ and bin/includes
> are the best guide to the latest command syntax? or is there
> a simple way of extracting this from the source code (e.g. I
> get the impression that 'open' has evolved to 'select open',
> but throwing around a few greps in the src/ dir didn't get
> me very far).

./bin/ and ./exs/ are the most end user friendly.  grepping
through the source code would not turn up examples in
comments, as that would be a place for 'rot'; the concept of
'test-driven development' which Bill uses in the locus he is
focusing on, and my use of test scripts in broad stroke
really and truly are how we develop and test the shim.

My documentation building scripts, and Bills's as well, pull
information out of the sources, or in my case, a running shim
instance, to populate secondary source documents, but this is
fragile.  Probably not a good place to start.

Bill's older post about using grep to drill down into
headers, and the sources to follow data flows is quite
technical, and is more for a person interested in the shim
internals (which are really fascinating), but are so laden
with detail, that they are not a practical way to discern the
commands compared to studying the scripts.   Also the scripts
are designed to be copied, tweaked, and used.

> So are you moving towards ruby instead of korn-shell for scripts, or
> does ksh have some significant advantage (e.g. coprocesses?) for
> interacting with the shim?
>
> It would be interesting to know how other list users interact with the
> shim.

Actually Bill wanted to use the korn shell because of its (to
him) better support for co-processes; I use a mixture of bash,
php, and perl scripts and the 'nix pipes and shell
redirects, for lashed together 'throwaways'

>>   The mailing list archives
>> are the natural place that Bill and I can first present
>> examples of usage of the shim, and we hope the archives are
>> useful to members of the list
>
> Yes, I've found a number of useful posts in the archive and can see
> the value of some dialogue between list users.

As part of the writing process, I went through all list posts
and all bugs, open and closed, in building flesh to hang on
the outline of my writeup, bringing it up to date to reflect
the then current syntax.

> I can appreciate the difficulty of documenting something that is
> changing.  Now that I know _what_ has changed, I find the docs quite
> useful.  I haven't yet gone as far as using the .tex files (did I read
> somewhere there is more info in the tex that doesn't make it to the
> pdf/html?).

Yes for Bill's content.  a trivial define restores the
'missing' parts.  I don't think it is worth too much effort to
do so, because that text will have rotted.

We try to turn around answers to questions from either Bill of
me within a day on the mailing list, as an informal goal.

-- Russ herrold