[ts-gen] shim --risk architecture [was: Hooking into shim directly via C/C++]

Ken Feng kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:40:55 EDT 2009

Hi Nils,

Thank you for posting this!  Your listing is actually extremely
useful.  It resolves the difficult question of:

"How do I poll for shim for --risk messages/responses (pull/wait)
while allowing some outside processes to send a new order (push)?"

Your response seems to be - use a shimpipe to connect to the shim and
listen for --risk messages/responses, while allowing new orders to be
sent, push-style, into the shimpipe, I think through the use of
select() - will look at the code in more detail later and try it out.
With your architecture, I can make shimpipe store information about
new orders that have been pushed through.

An alternative architecture, if we can also have multiple --risk shims
running, is to use two --risk shims.  One that is listening for
not figure out how to do this if I want the first shim to know about
new open orders before getting responses from the shim.

Maybe if someone has some ideas, they can post how this can be done
with two --risk shims or somehow one multiplexed --risk shim (even
better!) from Ruby.

For instance:

1. Send Buy 100 IBM
2. Listen for responses
3. Send Buy 200 IBM (may come in as a push anytime from an outside process)
4. Know about 3. before listening for responses

Thanks again.

- Ken